Cross training is becoming increasingly popular in gyms everywhere. It can help you quickly improve your overall fitness level thanks to the different exercises done in a certain amount of time. Athletes rely on it to reduce their weaknesses and prepare for more intense training periods. In this article, Decathlon tells you all about this new fitness trend that looks like it’s going to be around for a while.
WHAT IS CROSS TRAINING?
Cross training completes traditional weight lifting, which works isolated muscles. Over the past few years, it has become a trendy sport, accessible to anyone, and the way to get back in shape. It is different from other methods because:
- The intensity is higher than for classic training sessions because you move from exercise to exercise, with movements that use all your muscles and a short recovery time (intensity increases as exercises become harder).
- The functional movements call on all your muscle groups to achieve natural movements such as running, jumping, pushing, throwing or pulling.
- The wide range of exercises adds variety and fun to the sessions.
These three principles make cross training a unique and effective training method.
FIVE GOOD REASONS TO CROSS TRAIN
Cross training is a unique and very effective training method for five reasons:
Sessions are very short, making it ideal for time-pressed individuals. By training just 30 minutes, 3 times a week, you’ll see improvements in cardio and strength, lose fat and can maintain or even boost your muscle mass.
Whether you’re a beginner or seasoned athlete, you’ll do a full range of physical activities, which makes everyone improve their fitness level. For example, runners may not improve their cardio (but won’t regress either!) but will improve their strength, speed, and power – things they may not always work on.
A WIDE RANGE OF FUN EXERCISES
The general goal of cross training is to improve general fitness, i.e., to achieve a balance of strength and endurance. Each session is different to avoid getting stuck in a rut. It’ll keep you wanting more and working out harder.
DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTENANCE OF YOUR FITNESS LEVEL:
- cardio-respiratory endurance
- muscle endurance
- muscle tone and definition
YOU DON’T NEED A LOT OF EQUIPMENT
To take up cross training, no need to invest in a lot of equipment. It’s more about movement:
- Pushing movements such as press-ups can be done using the Push Up Gain
- Pulling movements such as chin-ups only require a chin-up bar
- Strength training exercises can be done with a Domyos Strap Training
- For functional movements, you can use a kettlebell, medicine ball or weight jacket to increase the difficulty level.
WHAT DOES A CROSS TRAINING SESSION CONSIST OF?
A cross training session lasts about an hour. It is divided as follows:
- A warm-up phase to get your body ready
- The training exercises, which combine cardio and weight training
- Cool-down: active recovery, relaxation, self-massage, deep muscle work, etc.
Cross training is the perfect functional training method to improve your overall fitness level. Use it in addition to your usual sports activity to boost your performance!